Sunday, December 29, 2013

Autumn 2013 Episode Rankings

Week 12! I'll be ending my Autumn rankings here, but will continue as always with the Winter 2014 season in a couple of weeks.



Down to just 16 series at this point - as well as the shows that have ended ( and ),will be taking a short breakleaving the #1 spot open for the taking!




Kill La Kill has probably been the most consistently good series of Autumn 2013.1 - ( 1)



2 - ( 1)



3 - ( 3)



4 - ( 10)



5 -



6 - ( 2)



7 -



8 - (2)



9 - ( 1)



10 - ( 1)



11 -(1)



12 - ( 1)



13 - ( 3)



14 - (1)



15 - ( 3)



16 - (1)A touching scene



ENDING:



The main reason I've held back my Top 12 Anime of 2013 post this long is because KAKUMEIKI VALVRAVE S2 was always going to be a candidate (though I'd likely rate both halves together, instead of giving up two slots for the franchise). As you can see from the #6 position, I wasn't that disappointed with the ending, though I wouldn't say it was perfect by any means either. I liked that it didn't cop out and go for a happy ending - the already substantial body count must have doubled in this episode - but that whole 'X years later' scene tagged on at the end felt a bit cheesy. Which I suppose made it a good representation of the series as a whole, as stupid as it was entertaining~



Ranking highest of all the final episodes was that of KYOUSOUGIGA TV. As I must have mentioned half a dozen times, I've always struggled to rate Kyousougiga, as it's so unique in terms of plot, pacing and characters. I just went with my gut feeling most weeks, and since episode 10 left me feeling very happy indeed, it must have done something right! I'll miss this seriesbut not enough to watch the recap episode, I'm afraid.



Koto's headbutts are certainly a force to be reckoned withdoes she even need the hammer? :razz:



Oh, MEGANEBU! The guiltiest of guilty pleasures. With all these series ending, I've been moving gigabytes of files onto my external hard drives for archiving, and have been forced to delete most of the series I've rated less than 3 stars due to lack of space. But I can't bring myself to delete Meganebu! It stays, and I'll probably end up trying to force it upon any friends that visit. I feel it's my duty as a glasses wearer! The final episode didn't really stand out in any way, but that scene where all the blank-faced background characters suddenly had faces after putting on glasses gave me a good laugh.



And the moral of the story is, even wearers of fake glasses can be usefulsometimes.



NOT ENDING, BUT AWESOME:



Retaking the Number 1 spot for the first time since Week 6, episode 12 of KILL LA KILL was easily my favourite of the series so far. I had wondered exactly how they'd fill a further ~12 episodes of material next season, considering the rate at which Ryuuko was defeating the Elite Four, but the introduction of Harime Nui and Final Boss(?) Kiryuuin Ragyou certainly put an end to those fears! The fact that Ryuuko's father wasn't killed by Satsuki is an unexpected twist on what I'd been considering a fairly simple plot until now. But, obviously, it was mostly the fight between Nui and Berserk-mode Ryuuko (and just about anyone else who wanted to join in) that got it where it is this week, with Mako's 'free tanning' session as the icing on the cake.



LITTLE BUSTERS! REFRAIN is ending this season, I've recently found out, but will continue past this week for a 13th episode. This sequel has been a real mixture of great and terrible episodes for me (much like Clannad After Story), but it's been good enough over the past fortnight to re-enter my Top 5. I think I'd probably be less critical if I hadn't seen all of Key's other anime adaptations, which are all fairly similar. Little Busters! has the potential to end very darklybut somehow, I can't see them going through with it (again, I'm probably basing this on Clannad AS). I don't mind either way, though - a happy ending would be a nice change following that of Valvrave.



Picture of Haruka, just because. I liked the fade-to-white effect in this scene, though. :)



Finally. here are the average rankings over the past 12 weeks. Though there's a few that I'd love to move around at this point if I could (Galilei Donna making my Top 10 over Nagi no Asukara? ), I won't, as my thoughts are probably very biased towards the latter episodes and endings now.



1 - KILL LA KILL



2 - SAMURAI FLAMENCO



3 - HUNTER X HUNTER



4 - KAKUMEIKI VALVRAVE S2



5 - YOWAMUSHI PEDAL



6 - COPPELION



7 - KYOUSOUGIGA TV



8 - GALILEI DONNA



9 - SPACE BROTHERS



10 - NOUCOME



11 - MAGI: THE KINGDOM OF MAGIC



12 - NAGI NO ASUKARA



13 - OUTBREAK COMPANY



14 - LITTLE BUSTERS! REFRAIN



15 - GOLDEN TIME



16 - NON NON BIYORI



17 - PHI BRAIN S3



18 - Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!



19 - MEGANEBU!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment