Friday, January 31, 2014

Myself in Notes, 2014

This list was inspired by Lorraine Hansberry's series of birthday notes, written annually from when she was 23 to 33. You can see these candid, intimate glimpses of her life on at the until March 16th.



I LOVE:


The Park Slope Food Coop

My office "family"

Learning obscure skills (blacksmithing)

Traveling to foreign countries

Efficiency (though not at the cost of human relationships)

Handwritten letters, and making time to write them

Carbs: bagels, pizza, pasta, rice, beer

Biking year-round

Lucky Peach

Sherlock Holmes (BBC)

Being fit

Being alone

Sleeping on the floor

Brooklyn



I'M BORED WITH:

My glasses

Hunter x Hunter

Game of Thrones books

Swiss chard

Marijuana

Trying and failing to get Cronuts



I HATE:

Not being able to recognize people readily (face blindness)

Cockroaches in my building

Too damn high rent in NYC

Oxford commas

Mixed signals

Being lonely



I'M PROUD OF:

My ability to emotionally move on (after a breakup)

My ability to physically move on (since everything I have can fit into one car)

My family, who accomplishes crazy feats, feeds me well and behaves with rational insanity

Friendships, many of which hit their 10-year anniversary last August

Decisiveness, ripping off bandaids and not looking back

Zen, achieving inner peace when NYC tries to make that impossible



I WISH:

To again write words that will spur laughs, inspire wonder, incite anger or change lives

To evolve from being a cook to a chef

To live in East Asia someday (Hong Kong?)

To be in love again someday

Filed under: , Tagged: , , , ,
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment