Anime voice actor Ichiro Nagai passed away on January 27, 2014 at the age of 82. Nagai had collapsed in a Hiroshima City hotel; he was taken to a hospital, but he passed away. As of this writing, the cause of death is unknown, and police are investigating the matter.
Nagai provided voices for many character during his career, including:
* Happosai in Ranma 1/2
* Namihei in Sazae-san
* Dr. Sado in Space Battleship Yamato
* Karin-Sama and Tsuru Sennin in Dragon Ball
* Konakii-jiji in several versions of Gegege no Kitaro
* The narrator for the first Mobile Suit Gundam series and movies
* Jigoro Inokuma in Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl
* Netero in the ongoing Hunter x Hunter anime
* Cherry in Urusei Yatsura
* Professor Amamori in Queen Millennia
* Dr. Reichwein in Monster
* Mito in Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Recently, he had just played the old man at the Phantom Ramen Shop in the second episode of Space Dandy.
In live-action films, Nagai was the Japanese dub voice for Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films and Yoda in the Star Wars films.