Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Progress This Season

Well, I figure that my dear readers deserve to know how I have been occupying myself recently with anime, so I have decided to write a post on my general progress.Some older shows with which I have been dallying are Hunter x Hunter, a series of shorts named Sparrow's Hotel (completed in one evening), Majestic Prince, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, Solty Rei, and Tower of Druaga: The Sword of Uruk.At last, I've almost finished with the original Hunter x Hunter, having just watched Kurapica's major battle with one of the Spiders gang.It was so pleasant to see the god-like and glorious victory over a certain murdering blackguard-whatever his name is-that I have difficulty putting my feelings to words.Sparrow's Hotel is a great comedy about a kunoichi working at a midsized hotel, which I heartily recommend to anyone needing a laugh.I'm still trying to finish off Majestic Prince, which has to be one of the greatest mech shows of recent years-I place it next to Code Geass.You might know that two of those last three shows figure on my top fifty list, and hence deserve their own posts.Tower of Druaga is a great fantasy, and the first episode alone, which parodies fantasy anime in a grand style, suffices to give it a large place in any otaku's heart.



But, now onto some brief descriptions of this season's shows.I still have to get around to Samurai Flamenco and Coppelion, but I expect to accomplish this soon.At any rate, my ability to keep up with new shows is much the highest since 2009.That says something about the quality of this season!




1) Arpeggio of Blue Steel (aka Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio) - 3 episodes



My long time readers will know that I am a huge fan of submarine warfare, particularly the WWII era.So, it comes as no surprise that I am digging this show, despite the fact that the show exclusively employs CG animation.As a matter of fact, I'm surprised in how unobtrusive they render this style of CG, which likely indicates that it will become more prevalent in the future.



It's based on a manga! Now, I have to read that too!



Anyway, this show concerns aliens known as The Fog, who have effectively wrested the seas from humanity.One of their vessels, a submarine, defects and gives humanity the chance to regain possession of the seas.I find the fact that each ship's personality is presented in the image of a cute young lady most amusing-all ships are feminine, you know!The first sea battle was very exciting, and the submarine's captain displayed that combination of intuition and sang-froid which renders submarine warfare particularly delightful.



2) Golden Time - 3 episodes



I was pleasantly surprised by this romance anime.The dialogue tends to be rather sophisticated, and the characters entertaining.A very enjoyable watch thus far.



3) Hajime no Ippo Rising - 1 episode



It feels very much like the prior season.As long as this show sticks to exciting boxing with interesting characters, I'm going to keep watching.I've only seen one episode so far because I hope to watch the rest of the series with my brother.He's a bigger fan of the Hajime no Ippo franchise than I am!



4) I Couldn't Become a Hero, so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job - 3 episodes



This show is hilarious!Usually I steer clear of ecchi with shows like Freezing being a major exception.The premise is that a prospective hero is forced to get an ordinary job after failing his exam.While working in a magical department store, the demon king's daughter decides to work there with him.The effort he must expend to try to make this person use polite language and treat customers with hospitality is absolutely hilarious.I might add that the girls are quite cute too.Forma pulcherrimae!When the tentacle monster appeared, I feared lest decency forbid me to watch further, but that scene did not exceed my tolerance, though it did exceed the grounds of decency.This is a wonderful comedy if you don't mind some fanservice.



5) Infinite Stratos 2 - 2 episodes



Hmm There's not much to this season yet.I'm almost tempted to drop the show, but then I should be denied Charlotte's cuteness.I'm not sure whether I'm ready for that deprivation.



6) Kill la Kill - 4 episodes



This is indeed an interesting show.and the commentary below it make it clear that this is a very thoughtful work.I'll definitely be keeping track of this show, and I hope that the animators are able to keep the high action and amusing antics up.



Well, that adequately describes the shows which I have watched.I can heartily recommend all of them except Infinite Stratos 2 and recommend Golden Time with the reservation that shonen fans might find it uninteresting.Cheers!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment